Vietnam is a Country worth visiting, either for Tourism or to spend a holiday with your family, friends or loved ones.
You must get a Vietnam Tourist VISA, if you are planning to travel around the Country as a Tourist, or spend a holiday.
The Vietnamese government has made it easy for Tourist to get the Vietnam Tourist VISA online, as well as on arrival. However, some can still get their VISA at the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in their Home Country.
This article will guide you on how to apply for the VISA, and also the required documents for application.
Vietnam Tourist VISA
Almost everybody needs a VISA to enter Vietnam for Tourism purpose, as there are some Countries that are exempted from getting a VISA, before they enter Vietnam.
The following are the list of Countries that can stay in Vietnam without a VISA, and also their duration of stay.
- Belarus* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Brunei (no VISA needed for up to 14 days)
- Cambodia (no VISA needed for up to 30 days)
- Chile (no VISA needed for up to 90 days)
- Denmark* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Finland* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- France* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Germany* (no VISA needed for up to15 days)
- Indonesia (no VISA needed for up to 30 days)
- Italy* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Japan* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Kyrgyzstan (no VISA needed for up to 30 days)
- Laos (no VISA needed for up to 30 days)
- Malaysia (no VISA needed for up to 30 days)
- Myanmar (no VISA needed for up to 14 days)
- Norway* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Philippines (no VISA needed for up to 21 days)
- Russia* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Singapore (no VISA needed for up to 30 days)
- South Korea* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Spain* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Sweden* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
- Thailand (no VISA needed for up to 30 days)
- United Kingdom* (no VISA needed for up to 15 days)
*You must wait at least 30 days between visits if you want to re-enter Vietnam after you leave.
Documents You Will Need For The Vietnam Tourist VISA Application
You will be required to gather and submit the following documents:
- Your passport, which must be valid for at least another six months
- Passport-size pictures with the following specifications:
- Size: 4 cm x 6 cm
- Taken recently
- White and plain background
- You must be staring ahead with a neutral facial expression
- You must not be wearing any glasses
- If you wear headgear for religious purposes or you have a wig, you may keep it in the picture. However, you must also wear a wig or headgear when you arrive in Vietnam.
- The Vietnam VISA Application Form. If you apply at an Embassy or Consulate, you may be able to find the application form at their offices, or their website.
- Proof you have paid the Vietnam VISA fee.
- Any other additional documents that the Vietnam Embassy/Consulate may require, such as a Letter of Invitation or Sponsorship from someone in Vietnam.
- If you are applying for Vietnam VISA On Arrival:
- The Letter of Approval
- Entry and Exit Form, which you will receive on the airplane. You have to complete it before handing it in at the Immigration Officers at the port of entry
- Cash to pay the Vietnam VISA stamping fee
You can apply for the VISA online, on arrival or at the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country.
If you are applying for the VISA online, (Vietnam e-VISA) then you have to visit the Vietnam Immigration Portal, and start your application. You will need to;
- Attach a scanned picture of your passport as well as a passport-size picture.
- Pay the e-VISA fee.
- Wait for the VISA to be processed (approximately three days).
- If the application is approved, you can print the e-VISA and present it to the Immigration officers when you travel to Vietnam. You can check on the status of your application through this website; https://eVISA.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/tra-cuu-thi-thuc.
Applying On Arrival
If you are applying on Arrival, then you will have to apply through the following Port of entry;
- Tan Son Nhat in Ho Chi Minh City
- Noi Bai International Airport in Hanoi
- Danang Airport in Da Nang
- Cat Bi Airport in Hai Phong
- Cam Ranh Airport in Nha Trang
You must submit an application for an Approval Letter from the Vietnamese Immigration Department.
There are travel Agencies or VISA application agencies that operate with the permission of the Vietnam Immigration Department, and that can submit the application for an Approval Letter on your behalf.
You will receive the Vietnam VISA On Arrival Approval Letter by email, and you can print it and present it to the Immigration Officers at the VISA-issuing counters at the airport.
Applying At The Vietnam Embassy/Consulate
If you are not eligible for the e-VISA, or you want to have the VISA already on your passport by the time you enter Vietnam, then you can apply for the VISA at the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country, or any Vietnam Embassy or Consulate near you.
Click here to check the list of Vietnam Embassies and Consulates near you.
Vietnam Tourist VISA Fee
- If you are applying for a Vietnam Tourist VISA Online: USD 25
- If you are applying for a Vietnam Tourist VISA on Arrival:
- Single-entry: USD 25 stamping fee on arrival **
- Multiple-entry: USD 50 stamping fee on arrival **
- If you are applying for a Vietnam Tourist VISA at an Embassy/Consulate: It depends on the specific Embassy or Consulate.
**You also have to pay the service fee to the privately-operating agency that’s handling the request for the Letter of Approval.
Vietnam VISA For US Citizens
US citizens have to get a Tourist VISA for Vietnam, before they travel or on arrival. If you are from the USA, then you can apply for a Vietnam Tourist VISA via any of the available methods:
- US citizens are eligible to get an e-VISA for Vietnam.
- On Arrival, as long as you have a pre-obtained Letter of Approval
- At the Embassy or Consulate of Vietnam responsible for your jurisdiction:
- Vietnam Embassy in Washington DC
- Consulate General of Vietnam in San Francisco
- Consulate General of Vietnam in Houston, Texas
Other Important Things To Note About The VISA
- A Tourist VISA for Vietnam is issued for a maximum of 30 days, and can be issued for a single entry or for multiple entries.
- If your Vietnam Tourist VISA is about to expire, and you want to stay for longer than its validity, then your best bet is to contact the nearest Immigration Office in Vietnam and request information.