Have you ever thought of traveling to Taiwan and tour around its beautiful cities?
You can as well spend a holiday with your family and enjoy the nature of Taiwan.
However, you need to get a VISA before you enter Taiwan.
This article will guide you on how to get the Taiwan Tourist VISA for Tourism purposes.
In order to get a VISA for Tourism, you will have to apply for the Taiwan Visitor VISA.
The Taiwan Visitor VISA serves many purposes including Tourism, Business and Medical treatment. The Taiwan Visitor VISA is a short-term VISA.
The Taiwan Tourist VISA
Most Countries are exempted from getting a VISA to enter Taiwan for the period of 90days, 30 days, 21 days or 14 days.
For example, all EU and EFTA Nationals can travel to Taiwan without a VISA, and stay there for up to 90 days.
Before you apply for the VISA, you must check and confirm if your Country needs a VISA to enter Taiwan.
The following are the required documents for the Taiwan Tourist VISA;
- Taiwan VISA Application Form completed and signed
- Original passport, with a validity of at least six more months after the date of arrival and with at least three blank pages.
- Passport-size pictures: 35mm by 45mm, with a white background.
- Travel itinerary/travel ticket, proving you intend to leave Taiwan after your VISA expires.
- Proof of accommodation in Taiwan, such as a Hotel reservation, letter of invitation from your host, etc.
- Proof of sufficient financial means to cover the duration of your stay.
- Employment status documents, such as a letter from your employer. If you are a Student, submit a letter from your school.
- Proof of your Host’s residence in Taiwan:
- Household Registration issued within the last three months
- Alien Residence Certificate or Permanent Residence Certificate
- Proof of relationship, such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, Household Registration, etc.
- Letter of invitation, from the person/organization inviting you.
Application Procedures For The Taiwan Tourist VISA
First of all, you must complete a Taiwan VISA Application Form online, print it, and sign it.
You can complete it here.
Then you proceed to Submitting the documents.
After you print the online Taiwan VISA Application Form, you must collect the Required Documents for your specific VISA, and submit them along with the application form at a Taiwanese diplomatic mission.
You can also apply for Taiwan e-VISA if you’re eligible.
List of countries that are Eligible for the Taiwan e-VISA
Nationals of the following Countries can apply for Taiwan e-VISA:
- Burkina Faso
- Saudi Arabia
- Solomon Islands
- United Arab Emirates.
Only if they are traveling with a Tourist group under “Project for Simplifying VISA Regulations for High-end Group Tourists from Southeast Asian Countries”.
Only if they will conduct business in Taiwan with a recommendation by the local offices of the Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA).
- Sri Lanka
You may apply here, and after it is processed, you will receive your e-VISA via email. Then, you must print it and show it to the Immigration Officers, after you travel.
Taiwan VISA On Arrival
The Taiwan Landing VISA is issued after the Foreigner arrives in Taiwan. But it is only available to:
- Turkish citizens
- Holders of emergency or temporary passports issued by a VISA-exempt country
If you qualify to apply for a Taiwan Landing VISA, you can receive it after you arrive at the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.
Other eligible points of entry are:
- Taipei Songshan Airport
- Kaohsiung International Airport
- Taichung Airport
If you arrive through one of the last three points of entry, you will receive an entry permit, which allows you to enter Taiwan.
But you also have to apply for the Taiwan VISA at one of the following:
- Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA)
- A local office of the Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- The BOCA office at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport
Note: If you arrive through any other point of entry, you will not be eligible for a Taiwan Landing VISA.
Other Things You Need To Note About The Taiwan Visitor VISA
If you are from the following Countries, you cannot get a Taiwan Visitor VISA unless you fulfill one of these requirements:
- You have been invited by a Taiwan Government Agency on Official Business.
- You will be partaking in an International activity or meeting for religious, athletic, or cultural exchange purposes which is organized by a Taiwanese Organization.
- You will visit a family member who is a Legal Resident in Taiwan, such as a spouse, a Family member of lineal relationship, or a sibling.
- You will conduct economic or commercial businesses (for which you will need a Letter of Guarantee from your contact in Taiwan).
- You are a crew member and will come to Taiwan to report for duty
- You will come to Taiwan for Medical Treatment
- India (only applies to holders of Identity Certificates)
- Sri Lanka
You may apply for a Taiwan Visitor VISA at one of the following locations:
- Nepal: the Taipei Economic and Cultural Center in New Delhi
- India: the Taipei Economic and Cultural Center in New Delhi
- Nigeria: the Taipei Trade Office in the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Ghana: the Taipei Trade Office in the Federal Republic of Nigeria
If you are from Bhutan or Sri Lanka, you can also apply for a Taiwan tourist VISA and you don’t have to submit a Letter of Guarantee when applying for a business VISA.
If you are from the People’s Republic of China, you have to get an Entry and Exit Permit but you are also subject to a daily quota of visitors to Taiwan (14,600 persons per day, where half of the quota should go to individual tour applicants).
If you have obtained another Nationality, you must follow the Taiwan VISA requirements of your current Nationality.
Even so, as a former PRC citizen, you may still face some restrictions when you travel to Taiwan, like:
- You may still have to get a VISA because you were born in China, even if you’re currently a national of a VISA-exempt country
- You need an Exit and Entry Permit to enter Taiwan if you have only lived outside China for less than 4 years
The VISA fee:
- If applying at a Taiwan Diplomatic Mission:
- Single-Entry Visitor VISA: US$50
- Multiple-Entry Visitor VISA: US$100
- If applying in Taiwan:
- Single-Entry Visitor VISA: NT$1,600
- Multiple-Entry Visitor VISA: NT$3,200
You can extend a Taiwan Tourist VISA at a local office of the Taiwan National Immigration Agency before your current VISA expires if you have a valid reason.
It takes somewhere between 2 to 5 working days to process a VISA, starting from the time they receive your completed application.