Since you would like to apply for the Japan Tourist VISA, it would be ideal to read and take the content of this article seriously, as it would guide you, to the successful application of this VISA.
Japan Tourist VISA
Before you apply, you must compile the following documents and keep them ready:
- The Japan Tourist VISA Application Form, completed and signed. You can download a copy of the application form from the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Click here to download now. Complete all the fields. If one does not apply to you, write “N/A” rather than leave it blank.
- Your passport, which must be valid for at least another six months and have at least two blank pages for the VISA to be affixed in.
- Passport-size pictures of yourself, with the following specifications:
- Dimensions: 4.5cm x 4.5cm
- White background
- Taken in the last six months
- You must be staring straight ahead, with a neutral facial expression
- Your entire face has to be visible
- Your name and birthdate have to be written on the back
- Flight Itinerary. Include a detailed plan of your arrival and departure dates, flight reservation number (you don’t have to actually purchase the ticket), your name, etc.
- Daily Itinerary. You have to include an itinerary of your daily activities in Japan. You can find a sample itinerary for Japan VISA at the website of the Japan Ministry of Foreign Affair here
- If you have a guarantor in Japan:
- Invitation Letter from the Guarantor
- If they will help finance your stay: Letter of Guarantee and their Income Certificate issued within the last three months
- Residence Certificate, if they are a foreign resident of Japan
- If you are financing your own trip: Bank Statements from the last three months
- Your latest Income Tax Returns (if you do not have an ITR, you may be able to submit a letter explaining the reason why).
- If you are visiting someone (friend or family) include proof of relationship, such as:
- For relatives/family members: civil status documents, such as birth or marriage certificates
- For friends: Pictures together, receipts, phone call details, and a letter explaining your relationship
- If you are employed: No Objection Certificate or a Letter of Employment from your employer.
- Civil status documents (as required): Birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.
- If you have a guarantor in Japan:
Follow the steps below to apply for your Japan Tourist VISA successfully:
- Check if your Country needs a VISA to travel to Japan or not: some Countries are exempted from using a VISA to travel into Japan. e.g. the EU, USA, Australia etc.
- Contact the Japanese Embassy/Consulate to make an appointment for the submission of the application. Some Japanese Embassies do not accept individual applications. However, you have to apply through a Travel Agency. The Agency will submit the application at the Embassy or Consulate on your behalf.
- Gather the required documents for a Japan VISA.
- Submit the documents at the Embassy/Consulate or the Travel Agency.
- Wait for the VISA to be processed. This will usually take 5 working days, starting from the day the Japanese Representative Office receives your completed application.
- Collect your passport Embassy/Consulate/travel agency. If the application has been approved, your VISA will be affixed and you can use it to travel to Japan within three months.
What Will Happen When I reach Japan?
Immediately you arrive Japan, the Immigration officers at the point of entry will review your Japan Tourist VISA, and the documents which prove your purpose of stay, and they will give you a Landing Permit.
Once you obtain the Landing Permit, your Japan Tourist VISA will be invalid. It is the Landing Permit (which is stamped on your passport) that allows you to legally enter and stay in Japan for the duration it is issued.
Other Important Things To Note
- The Japanese Tourist VISA processing time is five working days, beginning from the day that the Embassy or Consulate receives your completed application. But if they have to send your application for further examination to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo, or if they ask you for additional documents the time could be extended.
- The fees for the Japan VISAs are;
- 3,000 Yen for a single-entry VISA
- 6,000 Yen for a double-entry or multiple-entry VISA
- 700 Yen for a transit VISA
Note: If you apply through an approved Travel/VISA Application Agency, they will charge you for a service fee. The fees for Japan Tourist VISAs can change depending on the local currency or your Nationality.
- The Japan Tourist VISA is valid for a maximum duration of 90 days, usually for a single entry. You can spend up to 15 days in the Country, once you enter via the Tourist VISA.
- The Immigration Offices in Japan do not normally extend Tourist VISAs beyond their validity. Tourist VISAs would only be extended in extreme cases, such as a sudden illness or an accident.
- You cannot apply online for any of the Japan VISAs.
- You are not permitted to work in Japan while you are there on a Tourist VISA.