The Tourist VISA for Canada, which is also known as the Canada Visitor VISA, is a temporary resident VISA for Canada, as It only allows the holder to go to Canada for holidays, tourism or Family visits.
Eligibility Check For The Canada Tourist VISA
Before applying for the Canada Tourist VISA, there are some criteria that the applicant must meet.
- You must be at least 18 years old to apply as the primary VISA applicant.
- You must have a valid Governmental issued passport, with at least one blank page that is not the last page of the passport.
- Translate and certify all the documents that you have that are in another language, other than English or French.
- Have a clean criminal history and submit Court documents to prove it.
- Be ready to pay the necessary VISA application fees and VISA processing fees.
- Sign and date the appropriate documents where necessary.
- Fill and sign a VISA application center (VAC) consent form.
- Submit copies of your current Immigration status in another Country, or in Canada.
- Have enough funds to cover your stay in Canada.
- Be ready to attend an interview or give Biometric information.
- Go through a medical examination, if the Canadian consulate ask you to.
- Prove that your stay in Canada is temporary, and that you will return to your Home Country once your visit is over.
- You must prove that you do not plan to work or study in Canada.
Note: Failure to meet up with the criteria above might prove your inadmissibility in Canada.
Requirements For Canada Tourist VISA
Some documents are to be submitted, when applying for a Tourist VISA to Canada. They include;
- Standard requirements for Canada VISA: this has to do with your passport, appropriate Canada VISA application form, proof of paid Canada VISA fees, photographs in accordance with the photo requirements for Canada VISA, Proof of financial means, proof you will return to your Home Country once the Canadian VISA expires, identity and civil status documents, police clearances, Medical examination, A cover letter that explains the purpose of your travel to Canada, and the letter of support/invitation to Canada.
- Canada Tourist VISA Application form.
- Your Bank or other financial statements to prove you have enough funds for the trip to Canada.
- A travel itinerancy, if you have already booked your air tickets, or just a description of what you plan to do once in Canada.
- A Canada VISA of invitation from your family or friends if you are visiting them.
- Proof of the relationship if you are visiting your family.
- The immigration statuses of your family or friends, if you are visiting them.
- Bank statements or other financial statements of your friends or family, if you’re visiting them.
- A declaration letter from you to the Government of Canada, where you explain why they should give you a Tourist VISA.
- 2 photos that meet up the Canada photo requirement.
- Your employment or education status through a resume or diplomas, as well as a letter from your employer stating that you have contractual obligations to fulfill, and you must return to your Home Country.
- Proof that your stay in Canada is temporary, and that you will return to your Home Country once your visit is over, such as a lease, property deed, and so on.
- Proof that you do not plan to work or study in Canada.
- Court documents that prove you have a clean criminal history.
Take note that, any document you have in another language other than English or French, must be translated.
As an applicant, there are very many forms for you to fill and steps to follow.
- Verify and confirm if you are eligible for the Canada visitor VISA.
- All documents needed for a Canada Tourist VISA must be completed.
- Submit the Canada Tourist VISA application form.
- Wait for processing and respond to other requests for information.
- Your passport must be sent for stamping.
Canada Tourist VISA Fees
The fee for a single applicant is CAD$100, i.e. application fee for the Tourist VISA.
But if you have to submit your biometrics, that will cost you extra CAD$85, altogether will cost CAD$185 for applying for the VISA.
Also, you will have to pay for the passport processing which will cost around CAD$45.
How Long Will It Take To Process The VISA?
The Visitor VISA or Tourist VISA usually takes from 8 to 40 days.
It depends on the Country you live in, so probably you may have to wait for a month for your VISA to be processed.
Canada Tourist VISA Validity
Actually, the validity depends on whether they believe you will return to your Country or not. However, you are not allowed to stay more than 6 months at a time.
After 6 months you must return to your Home Country and stay for some time, before you go back to Canada if you wish to, for another 6 months.
NOTE: When you possess the Canadian Tourist VISA, you are only allowed to travel around the Country for less than 6 months, you are not allowed to stay there permanently.
★ You can take your Spouse and Children with you, with a Tourist VISA, but they must have their own application and everyone should pay separate fees.
Can I Extend My Stay As A Visitor?
If you want to stay for more than 6 months, you will have to apply for VISA extension for Canada, at least 30 days before your visitor VISA expires.
The extension is called a VISITOR RECORD.
How To Apply For A Canada VISA Extension
Applying for a Canada VISA extension is by two ways; online and on paper.
- Applying online will demand the creation of an account on the IRCC website; Visit the website to get acquainted with the instruction guide for extending a VISA. Take note; When applying, the question “What would you like to do in Canada?” will appear, select “Visit“. Another question will be “What is your current country /territory of residence?”, answer “Canada“. The rest of the application must be completed as instructed. Also note that you will need a valid credit/debit card to pay your fees.
- Applying on paper, you’ll have to download the application package available on IRCCs’ Website. The package includes document checklists, application forms and application guidelines. You must read the guidelines and give all the needed documents including payment for the fees.
- Print the application forms that are on the application package, sign and date them where needed.
- Attach all the needed documents and fees to the completed application.
- Finally, mail the application to the address stated on the application package.
Take notes of Documents and forms you will need for a Visitor Record.
The documents are;
- Payment receipts
- Photocopies of passport pages. they include;
- Name and date of birth
- The passport numbers
- Expiry date
- The stamp of your most recent entry into Canada.
- All other marked pages.
- Photocopies of your other travel or identity documents, if you didn’t enter with a passport. This could be an alien registration card, birth certificate, citizen certificate etc.
- Photocopy of your current Immigration document, if applicable.
- Marriage certificate if applicable.
- Proof of sufficient financial means.
The forms are:
- Application to change conditions, extend my stay or remain in Canada as a visitor, or temporary resident permit holder (IMM 5708).
- Use of a representative (IMM 5476)
- Authority to release personal information to designated individual (IMM 5475)
- Statutory declaration of common-law union (IMM 5409) (if applicable).
To avoid inconveniences and unnecessary delays or avoiding carrier and mailing fees, online application is much faster and more convenient.