You will need a Singapore Student VISA, if you are a foreign National that would like to study in a Singapore University.
The Student VISA in Singapore is referred to as a Student Pass.
Singapore Student VISA
In order to be eligible for the Singapore Student VISA, you must be a full time Student, not part time or weekend classes Student.
You must also be admitted into one of the following accredited Educational Institutions in Singapore.
- National University of Singapore
- Nanyang Technological University
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore Institute of Technology
- Singapore University of Social Sciences
- Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Nanyang Polytechnic
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Republic Polytechnic
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Temasek Polytechnic
Foreign Institutes with branches in Singapore
- École Supérieure des Sciences Economiques et Commerciales
- University of Chicago – Booth School of Business
- DigiPen Institute of Technology
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- German Institute of Science and Technology – TUM Asia
- Sorbonne-Assas International Law School
- SP Jain School of Global Management
Note: In Singapore, Universities are referred to as Institutes of Higher Learning (IHL).
Required Documents For The Singapore Student Pass
The following documents are required for application;
- A completed Student Pass Application Form (e-Form 16), which you can download from ICA’s website. The form can be completed electronically.
- A passport-size picture in line with Singapore photo requirements.
- The Registration Acknowledgement Letter from your school.
- Photocopy of the bio-data page of your passport.
- Documents stating your educational background.
- Your employment history.
- Documents related to any financial support you are receiving.
- The address where you will be living in Singapore and local contact.
- Any documents mentioned on the In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter.
Note: All the documents you submit must be in English or translated to English by an official translator. You must include both the original document and the translation.
You have to check whether you are exempted from getting a VISA to enter into Singapore.
Almost every foreign Student that would like to study in Singapore needs a VISA. You can only be exempted if:
- Your course lasts less than 30 days.
- You have an Immigration Exemption Order. Immigration Exemption Orders are issued to diplomats, military personnel, and their family members.
- You are in Singapore with a Dependent’s Pass and you want to study at an institution that is not at university level.
It is the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA) that would handle your Student Pass application.
The application process for the Singapore Student VISA is done online.
You should apply using SOLAR (Student’s Pass Online Application & Registration), the online application service found on ICA’s website.
The application must be submitted at least one month before the start of the semester, but no earlier than two months. You have the right to apply from your Home Country, since you are not required to be in Singapore while your application for a Student Pass is processing.
You will not be able to continue with the application without the SOLAR application number, stated on your acceptance letter from the University/Polytechnic.
So, you can only apply after you have been admitted into a Singapore University.
If your application is approved, you will receive an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter, that states all the documents you need to bring to the ICA building in Singapore, when you travel there to collect your Student Pass.
The processing fee is non-refundable S$30 processing fee.
Other Important Things To Note
- If you do not need a Singapore VISA, the application will be processed within five working days after the date of submission. If you need a Singapore VISA, your application will be processed within ten working days after the date of submission.
- After printing your IPA letter, you can use it to travel to Singapore. Once you land at the airport, you have to show the IPA letter to the Immigration and Checkpoint Authority officers, who will give you a Visit Pass. After you enter Singapore, you must make an appointment at the ICA building to complete the formalities of obtaining a Student Pass. You can make an appointment online, on ICA’s website via e-Appointment.
- You need to visit the ICA building to finish these formalities for the Student Pass before your Visit Pass expires. You have to submit all the documents required on your IPA letter along with a signed Terms & Conditions of Student’s Pass (STP) document. You can download the STP document on ICA’s website. As the name suggests, you need this document to declare you agree to the terms and conditions of a Singapore Student Pass. The fee for the issuance of the Student Pass is S$60
- You can work with a Singapore Student Pass without having to obtain a Work Permit/Pass. But you to meet some conditions first. The conditions are;
- You must be enrolled in an approved learning institution.
- The work you do must contribute to your school requirements. This means you can only work in an industrial attachment program held by your educational institution.
- You must be at least 14 years of age.
- During the school term, you cannot work for longer than 16 hours a week.
- You can work full-time during vacations.