Trying to rate Countries that are Academically inclined, and have a good Educational system with well-equipped Lecture rooms, Russia will is one.
International Students, who wishes to study in any accredited Educational Institution, must get the Russia student VISA.
Read this article to the end, as it will guide you on the successful application of this VISA.
Russia Student VISA
Russia issues Study VISAs, based on invitations by the Ministry of Interior.
These VISAs can be:
- Single entry.
- Double entry.
The Russia Student VISA is valid for 90 days. Later on, the Ministry of Interior can extend its validity for the duration of the Study contract, up to a year.
Before you apply for the VISA, you have to check and confirm if you need a VISA to enter Russia and study.
Nationals of almost all the Countries in the World, needs a Russian student VISA. Only Nationals of Belarus and South Ossetia, are allowed to enter Russia and stay unlimited time without a VISA.
However, Some Countries can enter Russia without a VISA, and stay for the period of 90, 60 , 30 and 14 days.
List Of Countries That Are Exempted From Using A VISA To Enter Russia
- El Salvador*
- Estonia (holders of an alien passport)
- Latvia (holders of a non-citizen passport)
- Saint Kitts and Nevis*
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines*
- South Africa*
- United Arab Emirates
*Nationals of these Countries can enter Russia without a VISA only for non-commercial purposes.
For up to 60days
- South Korea
For up to 30 days
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Macao (Persons holding a Macau Special Administrative Region passport)
- North Macedonia*
*A letter of Guarantee/Invitation and a Tourist voucher, are compulsory for citizens of North Macedonia in order to be permitted to enter Russia.
For Up to 14 days
- Hong Kong (Persons holding a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport)
- VISA Application Form; Make sure your answers are correct, then print the form.
- Valid Passport; There are some criteria that your passport must meet, in order for your application to be valid. These criteria are:
- Your passport must be valid for at least six more months, after the expiration of the VISA you are applying for.
- Your passport must have at least two blank pages, which do not have to be consecutive.
- A recent passport size photo; Make sure this photo complies with the requirements for the Russia VISA photo. Glue this photo to the indicated space in the printed application form.
- Proof of residence; If you are not applying from your Home Country, but rather from a Country where you are residing, you should submit proof of residence in that particular Country for the last 90 days. Date on proof of residence should be no older than one month. This document could be any of the following:
- A valid VISA in your passport issued by the Country where you are residing.
- Utility bills with your Name and Address.
- Letter from employer specifying the start date of your employment.
- Letter from University/College/School specifying the date of enrollment. The letter must provide further course details.
- Bank Statements for the last three months. Required only if you are self-employed, a Company director, working from home, or unemployed. These Bank statements must prove you have at least €115, for each day you plan to stay in Russia.
- VISA Support for Students; This is the document, which supports your claims on your purpose of entry in Russia. There are three types of acceptable VISA invitations of a Russia Study VISA. Any of the following will be accepted:
- An invitation of the Ministry of Interior of the Russian Federation; Your Russian University is responsible to provide you with this invitation. You must present it to the Embassy in the original format, either in paper or electronic form.
- A telex invitation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation; Your Russian University should request this type of invitation at the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Ministry will then pass the invitation to the Russian Embassy in your Home Country. The University should provide you with a six-digit number, which you need to present to the Embassy.
- A copy of a direct inviting letter of your Russian University. This kind of invitation is only valid for short-term study only, without prolongation. The Rector of the University or the Head of the International Department should stamp and sign the letter. Note that the letter needs to be printed on the official paper of the Russian University.
- HIV Test (AIDS) Certificate; This test must be taken within the last three months before the application. It should still be valid for 15- 30 days on the day of your application.
- Health Insurance Policy Document; This requirement is only for citizens of EU Countries, Iran, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway and Switzerland. The document must be issued by a Foreign Insurance Company or a Russian Insurance Company and contain:
- Your full name.
- The date when the agreement was signed.
- The Policy number and full details of the insurer.
- The dates of validity; Note that for single entry and double entry VISAs, the Policy must cover the entire period of stay in Russia. On the other hand, for multiple-entry VISAs, it must cover the duration of the first trip.
- The list of Medical Services that the Insurance covers, including repatriation in case of death.
- The geographical area coverage the insurance covers. It must include Russia.
How To Apply For The Russian Student VISA
You should follow the steps below for the VISA application:
- Get the Invitation for a Student VISA for Russia (VISA Support); You can get a Study VISA invitation from the Russian Ministry of Interior. You can also get it from the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or from your University in Russia.
- Complete the Russia Student VISA online application form. Find the online VISA application atru. This is the official website of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Answer the mandatory questions marked with a “*”.
- Collect the required documents for a Russian Student VISA. Below you can find the list of documents, required to apply for the Russia Student VISA.
- Submit your application in person. Apply at a Russian Consulate / Russian VISA Processing Center.
- Pay the fee for a Russian student VISA: The costs of a VISA for Russia depend on several factors, which are:
- Applicant’s Nationality.
- Type of VISA.
- Number of intended entries.
- The length of the intended period of stay.
- Processing time.
Note: The average processing time for the Russia Student VISA 10 is days. However, the processing can take from seven to 20 working days. In individual cases, the processing time can be extended for up to 30 days. Those who want to rush will have to pay higher fee
After Arriving Russia
When you arrive Russia, you will have to receive an Immigration Card at the Russian port of entry.
The card consists of two identical parts that contain questions about you and your trip. Fill in the required information. One part of the card should remain at the Border Police, and the other one you should carry with you.
Also register your Russia student VISA. This is the responsibility of the Hotel or the owner of the private home where you will be staying in Russia.
Provide them with a copy of your passport data pages, Russia VISA, and Immigration card. They will need these documents to complete the process.