Laos has been, and is still a wonderful place to pursue an Academic Career.
With the serene and conducive environment for studies, coupled with the high standard of learning in well facilitated lecture rooms, you can get to complete your study program in Laos without much stress.
Foreign Students that indicate interest in studying in any accredited Schools in Laos, must have the Laos Student VISA before they’re allowed to enter the Country.
This article details out the application procedures and also the required documents you will need for Laos Student VISA.
Laos Student VISA
The Laos Student VISA is Issued to Foreign Nationals, who have been accepted into a Lao Educational Institution.
It is a long-term VISA, meaning that you will have to stay in Laos for the period of more than 30 days, and will probably have to get a residence permit when you arrive Laos.
There are several Countries that are exempted from applying for the Laos VISA. These Countries have reached the VISA-waiver agreement with Laos.
This means that these Countries can enter Laos without a VISA and stay for the period of 14, 15 or 30 days.
However, the VISA exemption is only for short stay visits like Tourism, Business, Medical treatment, journalism etc.
Usually, it is not only the VISA application form that you will submit, when you are applying for the VISA.
There are other documents that you have to submit too, alongside the VISA application form.
To that cause, you will have to compile the following documents:
- Your passport, which must be valid for at least another six months.
- The Laos VISA application form. If you apply at an embassy, you can download it online. If you apply for the VISA on arrival, you can get the application form on the plane or at the checkpoint/airport.
- Two recent passport-size pictures, with a white background and 4 cm x 6 cm dimensions.
- Proof of accommodation in Laos, such as a hotel reservation.
- Proof you have enough financial means to cover your stay: you must proof that you have enough fund to cover the period of your study program.
- A return-trip ticket or onward ticket.
- Payment of the Laos VISA fee: A proof that you have paid the Laos Student VISA fee.
- Admission letter/ enrollment letter from your preferred educational institution
- Any other documents that the Lao consular services as for.
Note: Make sure you get all the documents ready before you proceed to apply.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the documents you may need for Laos Student VISA, so you will have to inquire about the required documents at the Laos Embassy or Consulate you will apply in.
Be very careful, as you shouldn’t attempt to include a fake document, it can lead to the denial of your VISA.
There are three ways in which you can apply for the Laos VISA;
- On arrival
- Online through the e-VISA platform
- And in person at the Laos embassy or consulate in your Home Country.
However, the first and the second application ways (VISA on Arrival and e-VISA), are for short stays visit valid for 30 days.
If you’re going to stay for more than 30 days in Laos, the you will have to apply for the VISA at the Laos Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country.
Remember that the Laos Student VISA is a long stay VISA, so you will have to apply for the VISA at the Laos Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country.
You may need to follow these steps when you want to apply for the VISA:
- Get in touch with the nearest Embassy or Consulate. If at all there is no Laos Consulate or Embassy in your Home Country, then you will have to find the nearest Laos diplomatic mission in your neighboring Country.
- Complete the Laos Student VISA application form and submit it along with the required documents. You can find the Laos VISA application on the Website of the Embassy or Consulate.
- You can apply in-person or via mail, as per the instructions of the Lao consular services.
- Pay the Laos VISA fee.
- Wait for your VISA to be Processed.
Note: The VISA application process will change slightly depending on where you apply, which is why you have to contact the Embassy or Consulate of Laos first.
You can find the diplomatic missions of Laos listed here.
When you arrive Laos, you will have to get a residence permit. This will grant the permission for you to reside in Laos.