According to Learned Scholars, “Knowledge is Power“.
As a Student, your major aim is to acquire knowledge, and you may be deprived from having that if you don’t have a good Education, good learning and if you are not enrolled in a good School.
There are several well equipped and well facilitated Schools in many Countries in the World, including Cyprus.
Cyprus has a lot of accredited Educational Institutions, with good learning techniques and high standard of learning. The first thing you need to know about Cyprus Schools, is that there is no need for an IELTS/TOEFL test before Admission.
Cyprus Student VISA
Foreign Students, who wishes to study in Cyprus must get the Cyprus Student VISA.
The Cyprus Student VISA is a long-term VISA that allows it’s holders to enter Cyprus, and study in any School of their choice.
This article contains the A to Z of the Cyprus Student VISA mode of application, required documents for application, and other important things you should know about the VISA.
Cyprus student VISA is for non-EU Countries; This implies that Citizens of EU Countries are exempted from applying for the Cyprus Student VISA, because Cyprus is part of the EU.
In addition, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland (EFTA) are also exempted from applying for the VISA.
If you don’t fall among the aforementioned groups, then you must apply for the Cyprus Student VISA.
There are several documents that will accompany the VISA Application Form. You will have to gather the following documents before you apply, and make sure that they are not fake, as it will lead to the rejection of your VISA.
- A Cyprus Entry VISA application form, completed and signed. You can see the form here
- Your passport, which must be valid for at least one more year, starting from the date of arrival into Cyprus. It should also have at least one blank page for the VISA to be affixed on.
- Four recent passport-sized pictures, taken in front of a white background
- Letter of acceptance from the Cyprus Educational Institution.
- Originals of prior academic qualifications along with certified copies of them, translated into English.
- Proof that you have sufficient financial means to sustain yourself in Cyprus, such as Bank statements, a Scholarship, or a letter of Sponsorship.
- Certificate of Police Clearance, issued in the past six months from Police Authorities in your Country.
- If you have a Sponsor: A Bank guarantee, issued by your Sponsor’s Bank, stating the Sponsor will cover your costs of living and studying in Cyprus. The Bank guarantee must be issued in the last six months.
- Travel Health Insurance.
- Any additional documents that your Educational Institution requires that you submit.
Additionally, after you enter Cyprus, you are also required to:
- Get health insurance in Cyprus, to cover the duration of your stay
- Undergo a medical examination for hepatitis B and C, HIV and Syphilis and get a chest X-Ray to prove you do not have tuberculosis.
You Should Note that: This is not the complete list of the Cyprus Student VISA requirements. Your Preferred school will inform you specifically, about the documents you have to submit, and guide you through the application process.
How To Get The Cyprus Student VISA
It is best for you to be accepted first into your preferred School.
Your admission offer matters a lot, and if you are not admitted into any Educational Institution in Cyprus, you will not be able to apply for the VISA, because your School will play a vital role in the application process.
It is your School that makes arrangements for you to apply for the VISA.
There are specific to ways to get this VISA.
- By yourself via the Cyprus Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country.
- OR, you send the documents to your University, and they apply on your behalf at the Migration Department in Cyprus.
If you’re Applying via the Cyprus Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country, you will have to follow these steps.
- Send the following documents to your School:
- A completed application forms.
- Four passport-size pictures.
- Certified copies of your Academic qualifications.
- Proof of your English proficiency (if required).
- Photocopy of your passport.
- Your Educational Institution will arrange an appointment and interview for you, at the Cyprus Diplomatic mission in your Country.
- Attend the interview and submit the required documents.
- If your VISA is approved, pick up your documents and the VISA, and you are allowed to travel to Cyprus.
If you’re Applying at Migration Department in Cyprus, i.e., if there is no Cyprus Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country, you must follow these steps;
- Send the required documents to your School
- They will submit an application on your behalf at the Migration Department in Cyprus
- If your application is approved, your School will send you a copy of the VISA and you may travel to Cyprus.
Take note that the Cyprus Student VISA is just an entry permit. This means that you cannot stay in Cyprus with the VISA, the Student VISA only grants your permission to enter Cyprus. Upon your arrival in Cyprus you will have to apply for your Temporary Cyprus Residence Permit at the Cyprus Migration Department.
It is the residence permit, which allows you to legally live and study in Cyprus for over 90 days.
Applying for the Residence Permit, there are some documents that you will need to submit. They are:
- Temporary Residence Permit Application Form.
- Your Cyprus Student VISA.
- The Letter of Acceptance into your school.
- Your Medical examination results.
- Proof of accommodation in Cyprus.
- Proof you have obtained Health Insurance.
- Copy of your passport.
Keep in mind: The Migration Department will register your biometrics, and take your signature before they issue your Student Residence Permit.
In addition, when you arrive Cyprus, you will have to undergo Medical examinations for Hepatitis B and C, HIV and Syphilis and get a chest X-Ray.
Important Things To Note About The Cyprus Student VISA
- The Cyprus student VISA fee is € 60. Apart from the VISA fee, you will have to pay for another fee (residence permit fee, and medical examination fee when you arrive Cyprus). The Student VISA fee may however differ, depending on the Method of your application.
- A Student VISA for Cyprus takes about a month to be processed.
- The temporary Cyprus Student Residence Permit you receive, is valid for only 1 year. But it can be renewed annually for the entire duration of your studies. To renew your Temporary Residence Permit, it must be at least a month before the other one expires. The following are the requirements for renewal:
- Temporary Residence Permit Application Form
- A copy of your passport
- A Letter of Registration from your School
- Your School transcripts for all the semesters you finished in Cyprus
- Your original Temporary Residence Permit
- Proof of Accommodation
- Proof of sufficient financial means (statements from a bank in Cyprus)
- Proof of Health Insurance
- You can work with a Cyprus Student VISA but under specific conditions. You may only work up to 20 hours per week in certain industries/positions such as:
- Working in a bakery
- Forage production
- Night-shift workers
- Household Activities
- Health and Social Care (in homes for the elderly)
- Agriculture or husbandry
- Food delivery
- In restaurants/other recreational centers:
- Kitchen Assistants
- Gas station/car wash
You must have a work contract and submit it to a District Employment Office for approval. You may also be allowed to get a work permit, for practical training during the summer holidays, but check with your School beforehand.