How To Apply For The China Student VISA

by Students VISA0 comments

China Student VISA

The China Student VISA, also known as the X VISA, is a category of the Chinese VISA that grants it’s holders access to study in any Chinese accredited educational institutions for foreigners.

The Chinese Student VISA is of two types. X1 VISA: For long-term study greater than 180 days and the X2 VISA: For short-term study less than or equal to 180 days.

Note: The validity of both VISAs is 90 days from the date of issue, while the stay duration for X1 VISA is usually 000, which needs to be determined after the applicant enters China, and that for X2 VISA is not more than 180 days.

It is necessary to find an organization accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners, if you’re an International Student, so that they will send a JW201 or JW202 form and an admission letter.

Read: How To Apply For The China Business VISA

China Student VISA

What Are The Required Documents For The Chinese Student VISA?

Before applying, you must make sure that you have all the documents below;

  • Applicant’s original passport valid up to at least six months with at least one blank page.
  • An accurate and truthful completed China Student VISA Application Form.
  • Affix one recent passport style color photo with full face, front view, no hat, and against a plain light background onto the application form.
  • Original and a copy of Admission Notice from the Chinese university or school.
  • For X1 application only: Original and a copy of approved Foreign Student VISA Application Form JW201 or JW202.

Other Things You Should Take Note Of

  • The JW201 form is issued to International Students, dispatched by Government or funded by the Chinese Government Scholarships, while JW202 is for self-sponsored foreign Students. The JW201 or JW202 form should be obtained through the School you are to enroll at.
  • Since US Students can now apply for the five-year X1 VISA, their passports should have a remaining validity of at least one year if applying for the 5-year X1 VISA.

Read: How To Apply For The UAE Business VISA

Application Procedures

  1. Download the Chinese VISA Application form, fill it.
  2. Submit the application to the Consular office of the Chinese Embassies, Consulates, or China VISA Application Centers (CVASC), either in person or you can entrust someone else (e.g. friends, relatives), a Travel Agency or a VISA Agency to act on your behalf, if you can’t come personally.
  3. Power of attorney is not required.
  4. Mailed applications are refused by most Chinese Embassies or Consulates, but acceptable in many CVASCs.
  5. Appointment is not required by most Embassies and Consulates. But if you are required to submit application to CVASC, you may need to make an online appointment via CVASC’s website.

The Normal processing time is 4 working days. But the express service and rush service are available if you want to collect your VISA earlier.

Express Service: 2-3 working days processing; extra US$ 20 will be charged. Rush Service: 1 working day processing; extra US$ 30 will be charged.

Read: How To Apply For The UAE Immigration VISA

Chinese Student VISA Fee

China X VISA Types


                US CitizensCanadian CitizensUK Citizens


Australian Citizens
                Single EntryUSD 140                CAD 142GBP 151AUD 109.5
Double EntriesUSD 140CAD 142GBP 151AUD 139.5


Note: The fee for X VISA is the same with the fee for other types of Chinese VISA.

The X1 VISA only has one entry, and seldom do Chinese Embassies and consulates issue multiple-entry X2 VISAs, here we only list single-entry and double-entry X VISA fees for reference.

Read: How To Apply For The UAE Student VISA

X1 Students Should Note

  • X1 VISA holders shall apply for a Temporary Residence Permit from the local Exit and Entry Administration, within 30 days upon entry into China. The temporary residence permit can be issued with the validity of up to 5 years. Documents required include passport, admission notice, JW201 or JW202 form, Foreigner Physical Examination Record, a registration of accommodation, and a passport style white-background photo.
  • X1 Students can travel into and out of mainland China freely within the validity of the Temporary Residence Permit.
  • When the study in China ends, X1 VISA holders should go to the local Exit and Entry Administration to cancel the Temporary Residence Permit, and apply for a 30-day Tourist VISA with zero entry to avoid problems.

X2 Students Should Note

  • X2 holders are to stay in China within the duration period as indicated on the VISA, and it is not necessary for them to apply for the temporary residence permit.
  • If you want to extend the X2 VISA, go to the local Exit and Entry Administration to handle this affair 30 days before the expiration date.

Can I Work With The Chinese Student VISA?

You are not permitted to work on the X type VISA. But part-time work and internships off campus may be authorized.

You should contact your University or Employer, after you have settled in China to see what can be arranged.

For foreign Students that work in violation of the Chinese regulations or beyond the prescribed scope of jobs or time limit, they shall be deemed unlawful employment and will probably have to stop or be expelled.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *