This article is a complete guide to Chile Student VISA application. It details out the basic steps you need to take, in order to apply for the VISA, also the required documents for application has been outlined.
Chile Student VISA
International Students, who wants to pursue an Academic Course in any Accredited Educational Institution in Chile, have to get a Chilean Student VISA.
All Foreign Students, whose study program is more than 90days, must possess a VISA before they enter Chile and study, regardless of their Nationality.
However, if you’re a citizen of U.S, or a National of any EU country, and your Study program does not exceed the period of 90days, then you can enter Chile and study without a VISA.
If you’re from a VISA-required Country, and your study program is less than 90 days, then you will have to apply for the Chile Tourist VISA.
It is obvious that you will need other supporting documents for the VISA application. You need to gather the following documents for application:
- Photocopies of your passport’s relevant pages (personal information, issue/expiry date, VISA stickers/stamps)
- Picture of yourself with the following specifications:
- Dimensions: 4.5 x 4.5 cm (2 inches x 2 inches)
- Professionally taken in a studio
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- You must be wearing everyday clothes
- You cannot wear glasses or any hats/headgear which cover your hair/hairline or face.
- You must face the camera and have a neutral facial expression
- Must be in JPEG format
- Completed Chile VISA application form*:
- In English
- Typed, not handwritten
- Letter of enrollment/confirmation from the Chile Educational Institution, which contains the following information:
- Your Name
- When the classes will start and when they will end
- How long you will be enrolled in the Educational Institution
- The Educational Institution’s Contact information
- Police Clearance from your Country
- A Health Certificate, stating you are not carrying a contagious disease which is:
- Issued in the 30 days prior to the application
- Signed by a registered Medical practitioner
- Proof of sufficient financial means to provide for your stay in Chile. You can show proof of financial means in one of these ways:
- Bank statements showing your current funds
- Financial Aid Letters from the School
- A letter from your Parents, signed in front of a Notary, stating that they will provide financially for you
- Proof of Legal status in your Country of residence, such as a Permanent Residence card (only if you are living in a country other than your country of nationality).
- For minors (under 18): Authorization to travel from the parent/s or legal guardian/s.
*You can find Chile VISA application forms on the Chile Abroad – Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.
All the documents have to be in PDF format. The picture must be in JPEG format. Also, you have to name the documents accordingly.
You must bring the originals of all the documents, when you go to the Chilean Consulate to submit your passport.
This is not the list of all the required documents. The Chilean Authorities can ask you to submit any additional documents as they see fit during any stage of your application processing.
How To Apply For The VISA
The Chile Student VISA application must be done online. You will have to submit an online application first and then appear at a Chilean Consulate to obtain it.
Apply via this website https://tramites.minrel.gov.cl/. But before you apply for the VISA, make sure that you have been admitted into your preferred School in Chile.
Once you access the Website, select the language you want to complete the application in at the top right corner.
Then you can start a new Chile Student VISA application by clicking the “VISA Application” button. You will be redirected to a Chile VISA online application form.
Note: There are several sections which you must fill out. So, after you complete a section, press “Save and Continue” to move on to the next.
You can also go back and adjust/review your answers.
When you complete the first section of questions, you will be given a verification/validation code. Save this code, because you will need it to log back in, and pick up your application where you left off.
You can go back to finish an application by pressing the “Complete VISA Application” button and entering the validation code and your passport number.
However, you will need to pause the application and go back to finish it later, so you can gather any required documents you do not have at hand.
During the last step, you have to attach electronic copies of all the required documents, and submit the application.
When your VISA is approved, the Chilean Consulate handing your application will email you, to set up an appointment when you can obtain the VISA.
How To Get Your VISA
Despite the fact that the application process for the Chile Student VISA is done online; the VISA is however not an electronic VISA.
You must go to the Chilean Consulate that handled your application, and get the VISA stamped on your passport, when your VISA is approved.
Also, you have to submit the originals of all the documents you submitted electronically as well.
You will be notified, on which Chilean Consulate you must submit your Passport and Documents, when you state your place of residence on the online application. Sometimes, you may have to travel to another Country to do so.
Note: Some Chilean Consulates accept the passport and documents to be couriered to them. Others require you to appear in person. So, you will have to contact them or visit their website to find out.
When you get your Student VISA stamp on your passport, you have 90 days to travel to Chile and register your VISA at the Police Department.
After you arrive in Chile with the Student VISA, you must go to the Policía De Investigaciones De Chile (PDI), and register your VISA. You must have your passport with you, and information regarding your residence in Chile (the address, phone number, etc.).
After that, you must go to the Registro Civil, with your proof of registration at the PDI, and obtain your Chilean ID number.
Other Relevant information
The processing time for the Chile Student VISA is between 15-20 days. But it is best if you apply for the Chile Student VISA 30-60 days before you intend to travel.
- The Chile Student VISA fee depends on the Country, and can range from $50 to $150.
- The VISA is issued for a maximum of one year, and it can be renewed in Chile at the Departamento de Extranjeria y Migracion for the entire duration of your studies. However, if the duration of your course is shorter than 1 year, your Chile Student VISA will be issued for that duration (e.g. six months).
- The Chile Student VISA itself does not authorize the holder to work. If you want to work in Chile while on a Student VISA, you have to obtain an “Authorization to work for foreigners with Student VISA” from the Departamento de Extranjeria y Migracion (Chile Immigration Department).
- You can bring your spouse and dependent children (under 18) with you, with the Chile Student VISA. Your dependents will have to apply for a Chile VISA along with you and follow the same application procedure. Your spouse must include a Marriage certificate in their application, and your children must include a Birth certificate. You will need to state and prove that you will be responsible for any financial requirements your dependents will have while in Chile.