Foreign Nationals that wants to Immigrate to the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, must obtain a Laos Immigration VISA before they get to enter.
Everything you need to know, about Laos Immigration has been carefully explained in this article.
It will guide you on how to apply for the VISA, the documents you will have to submit alongside the application form, and also what you will do when you arrive Laos.
Laos Immigration VISA
There are varieties of Laos Immigration VISA’s, depending on your purpose of Immigration.
You can Immigrate to Laos because of work; you may wish to work in any Company in Laos.
You can Immigrate to Laos because of studies; you may want to complete your education in Laos.
You can also Immigrate to Laos to reunite with your family.
Whichever option you may want to work with, the application procedures are the same for all.
The only difference is the documents you will need.
There are several Countries that are exempted from applying for the Laos VISA.
If you are a National of a Country that have reached a VISA-waiver agreement with Laos, then you will not need a VISA to enter Laos, if you want to stay for some days.
The VISA exemption is for short stay visits. If you will be staying longer than 30 days, then you will need to get a VISA.
To apply for Laos Immigration VISA, you will not only submit the application form, as there are several supporting documents that you have to submit, alongside the application form.
The following are the documents you will have to gather for the Laos immigration VISA;
- Your passport, which must be valid for at least another six months.
- The Laos VISA application form. If you apply at an Embassy, you can download it online. If you apply for the VISA on arrival, you can get the application form on the plane or at the checkpoint/airport.
- Two recent passport-size pictures, with a white background and 4 cm x 6 cm dimensions.
- Proof of accommodation in Laos, such as a Hotel reservation.
- Proof you have enough financial means to cover your stay: you must proof that you have enough fund to cover the period of your stay in Laos.
- A return-trip ticket or onward ticket.
- Payment of the Laos VISA fee: A proof that you have paid the Laos VISA fee.
- Any other documents that the Lao consular services as for, depending on your purpose of Immigration
Do not in any way attempt to include a fake document, it can lead to the denial of your VISA.
Make sure you get all the documents ready before you proceed to apply.
This is not an exhaustive list of all the documents you may need for the Laos Immigration VISA, so you will have to inquire about the required documents at the Laos Embassy or Consulate you will apply in.
There are three ways in which you can apply for a Laos VISA.
- On arrival
- Online through the e-VISA platform
- And in person at the Laos embassy or consulate in your Home Country.
However, the first and the second application ways (VISA on Arrival and e-VISA), are for short stays visit valid for 30 days.
If you’re going to stay for more than 30 days in Laos, the you will have to apply for the VISA at the Laos Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country.
You may need to follow these steps, when you want to apply for the VISA:
- Get in touch with the nearest Embassy or Consulate. If at all there is no Laos Consulate or Embassy in your Home Country, then you will have to find the nearest Laos diplomatic mission in your neighboring country.
- Complete the Laos VISA application form and submit it along with the required documents. You can find the Laos VISA application on the website of the Embassy or Consulate.
- You can apply in-person or via mail, as per the instructions of the Lao consular services.
- Pay the Laos VISA fee.
- Wait for your VISA to be Processed.
Keep in Mind: The VISA application process will change slightly, depending on where you apply, which is why you have to contact the Embassy or Consulate of Laos first.
You can find the diplomatic missions of Laos listed here.
When You Arrive Laos
When you arrive Laos, you will have to get a residence permit. This will grant the permission for you to reside in Laos.