Australia Immigration VISA
You can become a permanent resident of Australia, by applying for and being granted a permanent VISA that allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely.
The most common permanent VISAs include some skilled work and family VISAs.
What are the Entitlements I have when I possess an Aussie Permanent Resident VISA?
As a permanent resident of Australia, you generally can:
- remain in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enroll in Australia’s national health scheme, Medicare
- apply for bank loans to buy property
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
- travel to and from Australia for as long as your travel facility permits.
- attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
- work in New Zealand
You may also qualify for other government benefits and services. If you hold a permanent VISA, but you are not residing in Australia, your eligibility for the above may be impacted.
Note: An Australian permanent resident and an Australian citizen are not the same.
Requirements For The Australia Immigration VISA
When you apply for a permanent VISA, you will need to meet the Australian VISA requirements. Look under Eligibility in each VISA to see what those requirements are. For example, you need a permanent residence permit after your studies, or because you are working in Australia or running a Business in Australia.
Note: Before you’re qualified to apply for the Aussie Permanent Residence, you must have resided in Australia for years, probably 5 or more.
When you are granted a permanent VISA, you are usually permitted a 5-year travel facility. This means you can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like in the 5 years from the date your permanent VISA was granted, as long as your VISA remains valid.
After 5 years, your travel facility expires. You will need to apply for and be granted either:
- a Resident Return VISA – if you wish to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- Australian citizenship – if you wish to travel as an Australian citizen.