Are you interested in taking up a FREE online course, and you are not sure what you want to pick? Then you might like to try out a Free Online Course on Religion, Conflict, and Peace provided by the prestigious Harvard University.
The course is open to all International students, and especially relevant for aspiring or professional educators, journalists, public health workers, Foreign Service officers, and Government officials, who wish to better understand how Religions function in Contemporary World Affairs.
In this course, students will explore a series of contemporary conflicts in different Regions of the world, with a special focus on identifying and analyzing the diverse and complex roles, that Religions play in both promoting and mitigating violence in each context.
Free Online Course On Religion, Conflict And Peace At Harvard University
Awarding Institution: Harvard University
Course Length: 8 weeks
Effort: 4-8 hours pw
Course Languages: English
Certificate Available: Yes, Add a Verified Certificate for $50USD
About The Provider
Harvard University is an Institution that is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing Leaders in many disciplines, who want to make a difference globally.
Harvard Faculties are engaged with Teachings and Researches, to push the boundaries of human knowledge. The University has twelve degree-granting Schools, in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.
Established in 1636, Harvard is known to be the oldest Institution of Higher Education in the United States. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an admission of over 20,000-degree candidates, including Undergraduate, Graduate, and Professional Students.
Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni across the globe.
What You Should Know About This Course
In this course, Students will learn a method for recognizing and analyzing how religious ideologies, are embedded in all areas of human agency, and not isolated from political, economic, and cultural life as is often assumed.
In addition to examining the conflicts themselves, it will also explore the religious dimensions of the impacts, those conflicts have on civic life in areas such as public health, education, and commerce by addressing a series of questions;
- Are media representations of the religious dimensions of conflict accurate?
- How do religious institutions and ideologies function to support and/or thwart public health initiatives?
- What are the ideological justifications for functional economic policies and how do they reflect and/or challenge diverse religious values?
- What roles do religions play in advancing or suppressing educational opportunities and for whom?
- What roles do religions play in fostering violence and what roles do they play in promoting peace?
Possible Countries of focus include Brazil, Egypt, France, Israel/Palestine, Myanmar, Nigeria, Qatar, the Philippines, Somalia, Syria, Turkey, and the United States.
Final projects will be individually shaped, based on interest and (where relevant) professional focus.
This course follows the popular World Religions, through Their Scriptures XSeries, which explores the foundations of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism.
The Learning Prospects Of This Course
Tools for how to interpret the roles, religions play in contemporary conflicts;
- How religions are internally diverse
- How religions evolve and change
- How religions are embedded in all human cultures
Diane L. Moore, is a Senior Lecturer and the Director of the Religious Literacy Project at the Harvard Divinity School. She is also a Senior Scholar at the Center for the Study of World Religions.
How To Sign Up For This Course
- Go to the course website link
- Create an edX account to SignUp
- Choose “Register now” to get started.
- EdX offers honor code certificates of achievement, verified certificates of achievement, and XSeries certificates of achievement. Currently, verified certificates are only available in some courses.
- Once the applicant signs up for a course and activates their account, click on the login button on the org homepage, and type in their email address and edX password. This will take them to the dashboard, with access to each of their active courses. (Before a course begins, it will be listed on their dashboard but will not yet have a “view course” option.)