International Citizens, who happens to indicate interest in traveling to Laos for Business purposes, should read this article to the end, as it contains information about the Laos Business VISA application procedures.
The Laos Business VISA is a short stay VISA for Foreign Nationals, who wants to engage in Business or any Business-related activities in Laos.
The VISA is valid for 30 days.
Laos Business VISA
Nationals of the following Countries can enter Laos for Business purpose without a VISA and stay for up to 14, 15 or 30 days.
- Brunei (for 14 days)
- Cambodia (for 30 days)
- Indonesia (for 30 days)
- Japan (for 15 days)
- Luxembourg (for 15 days)
- Malaysia (for 30 days)
- Mongolia (for 30 days)
- Myanmar (for 14 days)
- Philippines (for 30 days)
- Russia (for 30 days)
- Singapore (for 30 days)
- South Korea (for 30 days)
- Switzerland (for 15 days)
- Thailand (for 30 days)
- Vietnam (for 30 days)
You can apply for the Laos Business in three different ways.
- On arrival
- Online through the e-VISA platform,
- and in person at the Laos embassy or consulate in your Home Country.
If you’re not eligible for e-VISA or VISA on Arrival (VOA), then you can apply in person at the Laos Embassy or Consulate in your Home Country.
Applying Via The E-VISA
If you’re eligible for the Laos e-VISA, you will have to click here to Apply.
When you enter the website, you will have to;
- Complete the online application form
- Attach the required documents:
- A recent picture of yourself, with a white background and 4×6 cm dimension
- Your passport’s cover page
- Your passport’s bio page
- Possibly, additional documents.
- Pay the online application fee. The fee is between USD 31 to USD 45 depending on your Nationality.
- Wait for the VISA application to process. This takes about three working days unless there is a problem with your application.
- Download the e-VISA Approval Letter. You will receive it on your email. Once you get the approval letter, you have 60 days to use it.
Upon your arrival at the port of entry in Laos, you must go to the designated Immigration area for e-VISAs.
You will have to show them your passport and the e-VISA approval.
The Immigration Officers will then review them and give you your entry approval.
Different Checkpoints You Can Use Your e-VISA
- Wattay International Airport
- Luang Prabang International Airport in Luang Prabang
- Pakse International Airport in Champasack
- Thai Friendship Bridge I in Vientiane
- Thai Friendship Bridge II in Savannakhet
You can apply for up to five people in a single application.
VISA On Arrival
You must first of all find out if you are eligible before you apply for VISA on Arrival.
Almost everyone that is not VISA exempt, can get VOA.
But the following Countries are not eligible for VOA, they have to apply at the Laos Embassy or Consulate;
- Ivory Coast
- Sierra Leone
- South Sudan
To get the VOA, you have to approach the VISA on arrival, issuing counter and present the following documents when you arrive at the checkpoint in Laos:
- Your passport. It must be valid for at least another six months.
- The Laos VISA on Arrival Form, which you can get at the checkpoint or on the airplane.
- Proof of accommodation in Laos. E.g. a Hotel reservation.
- Two recent passport-size pictures. 4 cm x 6 cm dimensions.
- Cash (in US dollars) to pay for the VISA fee. The Laos VISA fee is USD 30 to USD 45, depending on your Nationality.
- Proof you have sufficient funds to cover the duration of your stay in Laos.
- A confirmed return ticket or onward travel ticket.
- A VISA/ticket for the next destination (if applicable)
After you submit the documents, you will have to wait until the VISA is processed. They will call your name after about 15 minutes when it is ready.
You will receive a VISA for a maximum of 30 days.
Different Checkpoints That You Can Get Your VOA
- Wattay International Airport
- Savan International Airport
- Pakse International Airport
- Luang Prabang International Airport
- Friendship Bridge IV Checkpoint in Bokeo (Thailand Border)
- Samliemkham Checkpoint in Bokeo (Thailand and Myanmar Border)
- Friendship Bridge I Checkpoint in Vientiane (Thailand Border)
- Tanalaeng Checkpoint in Vientiane (Thailand Border)
- Nonghaed Checkpoint in Xieng Khouang (Vietnam Border)
- Nam Phao Checkpoint in Bolikhamxay (Vietnam Border)
- Friendship Bridge III Checkpoint in Khammouane (Thailand Border)
- Na Pao Checkpoint in Khammouane (Vietnam Border)
- Friendship Bridge II Checkpoint in Savannakhet (Thailand Border)
- Daensavan Checkpoint in Savannakhet (Vietnam Border)
- Veun Kham Checkpoint in Champasak (Cambodia Border)
- Vang Tao Checkpoint in Champasak (Thailand Border)
- Boten Checkpoint in Luang Namtha (China Border)
- Namheuang Checkpoint in Xayabouly (Thailand Border)
- Phou Keua Checkpoint in Eutapeu (Vietnam Border).
Applying At The Embassy Or Consulate | Laos Business VISA
You may need to follow these steps when you want to apply for the VISA:
- Get in touch with the nearest Embassy or Consulate. If at all there are no Laos Consulate or Embassy in your Home Country, then you will have to find the nearest Laos diplomatic mission in your neighboring Country.
- Complete the Laos VISA application form, and submit it along with the required documents. You can find the Laos VISA application on the website of the Embassy or Consulate.
- You can apply in-person or via mail, as per the instructions of the Lao consular services.
- Pay the Laos VISA fee.
- Wait for your VISA to be Processed.
The VISA application process will change slightly, depending on where you apply, which is why you have to contact the Embassy or Consulate of Laos first.
You can find the diplomatic missions of Laos listed here.
Documents You Will Need For The Application Are;
- Your passport, which must be valid for at least another six months.
- The Laos VISA application form. If you apply at an Embassy, you can download it online. If you apply for the VISA on arrival, you can get the application form on the plane or at the checkpoint/airport.
- Two recent passport-size pictures, with a white background and 4 cm x 6 cm dimensions.
- Proof of accommodation in Laos, such as a Hotel reservation.
- Proof you have enough financial means to cover your stay.
- A return-trip ticket or onward ticket.
- Payment of the Laos VISA fee.
- Any additional documents that the Lao consular services asks for, depending on the reason for travelling.
When you get your VISA, you can travel to Laos.
When your Laos Business VISA expires, you can extend your Laos VISA at the Immigration Department in Vientiane, or the Immigration Division Office of the province you are in.
Therefore, you have to apply for a VISA extension before your current VISA expires.
Note: You can get an extension of your 30-day Business VISA only two times, for a maximum stay of 90 days. The extension fee is 20,000 Lao Kip (appx. USD 21), as well as a 25,000 Lao Kip (USD 27) service fee.